saharss2533

Intae Hwang’s Project

Post by saharss2533 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Intae Hwang’s Project

intae

Re: Intae Hwang’s Project

Post by intae » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:23 pm

1st Week

This is the design for an art piece in the courtyard in the Kavli Institution, it started with several questions to myself.

1. The place is between "indoor" and "outdoor" which means, the position of art piece isn't too clear, in terms of its scale, color, interactivity, light source, and the audience.
2. This project begun with Alexander Calder (http://www.calder.org/), at some point I need to make interactive art piece for this place, and this project also need to include the feedbacks from the science lab visits.
3. The art work is reflection of the artist, so even though this project is aimed for public place, I wanted to put my personality into it.
4. Technical feasibility is also considered in the development process. Budget, fabrication process, and obtaining materials will be factors.

Taking into consideration all the matters that I mentioned above, I choose the topic: light and sound interaction, which is common in the interactive art. I'd like use sound source from people in the quadrangle to change the brightness of LEDs. The existence sound will dim the light. But this interactivity is not a instant action. I wish the accumulation of sound will change the art work.
Last edited by intae on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intae

Post by intae » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:26 pm

2nd week <1>
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 2.25.12 PM.png
To find out the change in the space after installation, I made this simple simulation with the Unity program. It is true that there exists a huge gap between the game view and the courtyard in the real world. But this was helpful to get an idea how much light is needed to give some kind of change(effect) to the place.
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 2.29.22 PM.png
The courtyard was drawn based on a bird eye picture from google map. Since I couldn't get the CAD file of the building, most of measurement were derived from my personal estimation.
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 2.25.12 PM.png
Then, I begun to design the actual circuit with Fritzing program. You will also see there is a step motor, which will make a up-and-down motion based on the sound around it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 2.23.35 PM.png
Last edited by intae on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intae

Post by intae » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 pm

3rd week
IMG_0914.JPG
I'm still waiting for the microphone from Amazon, so I tested it through Processing + Arduino combination.
Basically, Processing records sound through the microphone in my laptop, then send its signal to the Arduino.
The communication between the two programs didn't go smoothly, but I was just satisfied to test if the LED bulbs worked this time.

intae

Post by intae » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 am

4th week

I got the microphone I was waiting for, then build a new circuit.[img]
Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 12.28.30 AM.png
[/img]

The interaction flows like this
1. The LED light are on, also it set the variable for the LED as 255.
2. The microphone collects sound source, then turn into a number (0~255) based on how loud the sound is, but the distance affects more than the pitch.
3. The sound number divided by 10 and subtract from LED "255".
4. Once the LED number drops to 0, cool-time starts. I set 25 seconds.
5. When the cool-time is over, the LEDs smoothly glow again. Then the cycle is reset.

My concern is that I couldn't get any information that what kind and how much sound exist during evening in the Kavli hall. I need to test this. Also, the interaction cycle is also need to be adjust to give more excitement to the audience. Such as "How long the cool time would be" or "The brightness changes more dramatically".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAXD6k8 ... e=youtu.be

intae

Post by intae » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:24 am

5th week

Body design is finished, also I requested my object to print out to two different companies.
Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 2.23.02 AM.png
http://www.sculpteo.com/en/
https://www.shapeways.com/

The option that I chose in the sculpteo was SLS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering
Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 2.07.11 AM.png

Since the design was to "delicate" for the printer, there was a risk. As the picture shows, red parts are thin and it will definitely dull. Thus, I had to cancel it.
In the shapeways I selected SLA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography.

Also, the design software I used Rhino, also the company offer free version for Mac.
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/home

intae

Post by intae » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:59 pm

6th week.

I immigrated the electronic circuit at once without burning things.
DSC00343.JPG
As I expected, the voice response and regulating brightness worked well. From now, the actual sound environment in the courtyard is required. Based on the data, the Arduino program should be debugged.
Last edited by intae on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

intae

Post by intae » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:37 pm

8th Week

[img width=300 height=200]
Art & Engineering - New Page(1).png
[/img]

Documentation for the flower project.

Methodology questions

What are the rules, what are the conditions, what are the decision-making processes by which you do what you do?
The first rule I set for this class was to create small complete artwork for the space. Once it turns out good for the space, I was thinking about to develop this idea more. There were a lot of conflict with possibility and desire that develop a huge project. Negotiating myself between the two different goal was hard to decide.

How did you proceed, everyone has certain ways of problem-solving
Not like art students I've met, I usually get more feedback from testing. If I have some idea, I put more time for the actual testing with real material, and build a long term plan for the project. There were certain kinds of problems that I usually face with, such as a technical problem, material research and purchasing, and research budget. I was able to solve these problems, especially, technical matters through many forums in website.

Have specific background, experience that made sense for you to proceed in the direction you are taking
My sculpture background gave me the sense of form. I'm always thinking about making attractive object.

What were the steps taken to achieve/realize the project
Even though I put more value on a hand-on experience, each steps I took for this class proceeded in the Rhino program. Visualization idea in my brain was confirmed by drawing in the program. The mistake from the wiring, I miss the step to draw pin-wire in the program. This ruined entire setting in the house.

How does an artist create their work? What kind of matters and thought affect to the thing. There must be inspiration, knowledge, desire, skill, budget, and sometimes customer's request. When the Kavli Institution was suggested in this class as the mission, I though the space is unusual with the many facts, color of the building, the roof, and the two stories Latin style architecture itself.

After that, Alexander Calder's works were introduced in the class. In fact, the way his mobile series work is mostly doing with occupying the space where his works are installed. Their organic shape plates are changed by the small movements by audiences, and his artwork become clear when it is located in a white cube. Calder's works were results of long time consideration to the balance between the plates. He used iron plates and rods as materials, and the process required him a metal shop. It would be good idea to be a follower with my prior experience.
Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 3.50.06 PM.png
Reproduction of the Calder's work. Aluminum, Stainless still. 75 inches, 2008.

Considering all the factors, opting traditional sculpture seemed inappropriate. 3D projection mapping was popped up as an alternative, but I didn't have much experience of this.

While I was seriously thinking about "what to do", visiting Weld Lab inspired something in my mind. Put aside his scientific methodology, the arrangement of the lens which is following in the certain logic made an amazing visual effect. Atomic hollow gas felt me like a halo, the gas is trapped inside the delicately fabricated aluminum container. Behind that, there must spend tons of hours to verify their hypothesis.

I decided to do the light installation for the project. A lot of questions were followed after "What kinds of light bulb and which effect will activate the light source?, how will it be changed?". And the type of the bulb is also related the size of bulb too. LED strip or Electroluminescent wire could be a good decision at that time. However, LED 10mm bulbs seems reasonable to complete within a given time. When I ordered 10mm white LED, there was an small debate about the color in class. But the color of existing RGB LED bulbs are too vivid to show the color itself. It is ideal for signal, but it distract aesthetic effect.

The Unity simulation at the beginning of this project was interesting job to find out how it is look like. Frizting drawing could be a good program to give an idea for circuit map too. For the interaction part, using sound was convincible, even there are many variables, such as movement, temperature, and camera capture.

Plan was almost made, ready to go into the jungle. Purchasing materials is the most challenging things in here for me. Compare to Seoul in Korea, the capital city has everything in two hours. I ordered components through the amazon, and something expected to deliver more than a week, I was able to get them from RadioShack or Home depot.

In Chicago, buildings always stimulated me to think new ideas. Observation plants are the new idea source. I built the two stories in the house which is holding LED bulbs, arranged bulbs around from a center point. It was hard to designed space for the protoboard, wire, pinheader, and sensor. Especially, right size jumper wire s were difficult to get. These kinds of small obstacles delayed the progress.

Design the house which is holding the LED bulbs, the concept was came from the flower I met in the mountain.
Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 3.54.42 PM.png
Not surprisingly, most of plants are having the algorithmic patterns. Arrangement of the bulbs follow the way the flow blooms, I tried to make the house has minimum structure to reduce total weight.
DSC00346.JPG
DSC00347.JPG
When it comes to decide which material use for the printing, I chose the cheapest one, because even if I'm 100% sure that my design is ready to produce, I definitely will meet many error when it is printed out. As I expected, there was a gap between protoboard and four drill holes at the top. Also, I set the 102mm (4.01 inch) for the rim of the bulb (3.97 inch), it was too loose.
Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 4.01.54 PM.png
I found that putting movement related to the sound wasn't that impressive, since the up and down movement with same speed seems dull and noisy. I decide take the function out, or design more elegant motion.
DSC00347.JPG

The performance in the classroom was failed, the problem was occurred by transistor, I used the female header fin that able to replace transistor when it died.
IMG_20141209_131451.jpg
http://youtu.be/F7DoGCXUroI
Attachments
DSC00348.JPG