For Current Students
MAT Student Conference Support
MAT has set aside a limited amount of funding for students to attend important conferences in which they have a paper, performance, or installation accepted. This funding opportunity is subject to the following rules and constraints:
- The venue must be a high quality venue in a field closely related to MAT.
- The funds are for (usually partial) reimbursement of the costs of travel, lodging, and registration.
- The student’s affiliation must be listed as Media Arts and Technology / UCSB.
- A student may receive no more than one such travel grant per year. If funds remain near the end of the year, a second conference may be considered.
- Preference will be given to students who have not previously received travel grants.
- Doctoral Student Travel Grants are also offered by the Academic Senate: https://senate.ucsb.edu/grants/doctoral-student-travel.
Awards are subject to the availability of funds, so there is no guarantee requests will be funded. When the travel funds have been exhausted for a given academic year, no more travel grants will be awarded until the next academic year. The fiscal year begins July 1 and ends June 30.
For more information please email travel (at) mat.ucsb.edu.
How to Apply
Please complete the MAT Student Travel Grant application via DocuSign at least one month in advance of the event. Contact Janet Douglas janet (at) mat.ucsb.edu for more information and access to the application.
The following information will be needed:
- Name of student.
- Name, location, and dates of the conference or venue.
- Brief description of the conference or venue and its relevance to MAT.
- Title and brief description (or abstract) of the accepted paper or work.
- State what your presentation will entail (talk, performance, ...).
- The student should provide documentation that shows that the work has been officially accepted: an acceptance letter (email or snail mail), or a web address of the venue showing your name, etc.
Requests for reimbursement must be made within two months following the conference.
Please keep all travel related receipts.
Submit a paragraph report and documentation of your participation to travel (at) mat.ucsb.edu.
Contact Janet Douglas janet (at) mat.ucsb.edu for reimbursement details.